How to Become A Global Citizen
What does it mean to be a global citizen? We live in a world that is becoming increasingly interconnected. Through technology, improvements in international travel options and exciting communication tools such as Google Translate and Facebook, the world is becoming a much smaller place. Now it is possible to conduct business, make new friends and help others through global philanthropy with the simple click of a mouse.
Why Become a Global Citizen?
Learning about other cultures makes you a well-rounded person, helping you make friends more easily, get a better job and take opportunities to explore the world through travel. Also, you’ll realize there are others in the world less fortunate than you and discover possible ways to improve their lives through political action, philanthropy or volunteer efforts.
6 Ways to Become More Globally Aware
- Develop an interest in how others do things differently around the world
- Read book, watch movies and listen to music from or about other countries
- Be open to experiencing new things. Try your hand at making art, music and food like they do in other cultures
- Find out who is in need and how you can help. It doesn’t matter whether it’s in your neighborhood or somewhere far away
- Remember simple kind gestures can make a huge difference in someone’s life
- Inspire future travel by learning about the culture, history and geography of places around the world
I loved learning about other cultures from an early age. I was excited about reading old copies of National Geographic, and I asked lots of questions about how other people lived. One thing I cannot stress more is that we should never lose our sense of curiosity and adventure. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and stray outside your comfort zone. Sometimes these new experiences can make a profound impact on your life.